I hope the your blog posting is going along smoothly and that you are learning lots of valuable techniques, skills and even interest 'stuff' as you go?
Just a quick note about my Maria's thingamejig, I'm a bit concerned that I didn't save all of the extra pages into my Websites folder, so I might just have wasted a whole heap of time, oh well, we'll see.
So, I'm pretty sure that I've left comments on our group members' blogs about Billion Graves which make it quite clear that I found this resource to be inadequate, probably because it does rely on participants, including different worldwide cemeteries, to 'share' their resource information. This doesn't seem to have happened too often, so I suppose I feel that the Billion Graves shared resource site is an example of how important sharing is, otherwise it goes doesn't really work. I wasn't able to find any of the graves which I looked for. Maybe I was doing it wrong?
I have, however, after attending the O.C.L.C. seminar with Merrilee Proffitt on 20 March, 2014, entitled Wikipedia and Libraries: What's the Connection? actually had the inspiration - and gotten over 'some' of my fears and joined and contributed to Wikipedia!!! Wow!!
Merrilee's talk explained how Libraries, Librarians are now starting to recognise the power of Wikipedia and also acknowledging that they can contribute to the validity of the information which Wikipedia gathers and shares. So, Wikipedia's stated ambition which is to 'compile the sum of human knowledge' is applicable to the management of information such as this, making us guys pretty important too. During question time, Merrilee also assured her audience that joining Wikipedia and contributing wasn't too daunting and that it was important to keep a low key user profile account, be honest and be sure that if you edit someone's information to be respectful and always make sure that whatever you contribute is valid and true.
With all this in mind, I thought of my 2013 visit to the Narrandera information on Wiki and noticed that they hadn't put information in there about the October, 2013 150 year anniversary. Narrandera is important to me because my mother's family were born there and grew up there.
So this is the process that I followed and I would encourage you all to join up too, because I'm sure that I've learned a fair bit and I've also been able to apply what I've learned in Doc Man 1, especially the hypertext and HTML5 exercise information. I just googled Wikipedia, went into their site and got their Home Page. The discovery layer is pretty informative too. There was even mention of the Critical Bug OpenSSL, which it says 'has left 17% of the Internet's secure web servers vulnerable to data theft'. That's just not nice.
I then went to the Create an account link which has a helpful little tutorial which showed me how to edit, how to scan and look for improvements that I could make to information on Wiki, and also shows me how to use links in the top bar when I need any help. The tute took me through and showed me to click on the blue edit links to edit - for the whole page or there's a blue edit link for each section to click on so I can change information.
I then went to My User Page and attached it to my blog email address, then I needed to verify that mydogseat.... does exist by clicking on Start the User link and searching for mydogseat... in Wiki pages to be sure no one else was using this name. This, of course, showed that it was mine, then I had to Create User, but read and agree to all the copyright warnings and that all encyclopedia content must be verifiable (which has a link too). I also agreed that it was okay for my work to be edited, used and redistributed by anyone, subject to Wiki's certified terms and conditions.
This then took me to what looks just like our HTML5 with Headings with levels 2, 3, 4 and 5 and formats which asked me to insert Wiki Markup. Merrilee told us to introduce ourselves on our User Pages and be short and simple, so this is what I did. There's a link to preview what you've written and this is it in a screen shot.
This is how my comments appear now in my user account, not that I've edited and saved them.
No comments:
Post a Comment